Sunday, February 24, 2013
The Future of Fashion Media
Have you ever experienced the frustration of seeing something stunningly beautiful in an online or print magazine but you hadn't the slightest clue if it was accessible for us normal folks that didn't have super sized hook-ups with designers or inside industry access? Well it seems like Net-a-Porter, one of the world's premier online fashion luxury retailer, has come up with a brilliant solution to your problem. They've created a hybrid site where they're combining fashion commerce and content to create the ultimate fashion fiend experience.
Thanks to the innovation of Net-a-Porter's editor-in-chief, LucyYeomans, the face of fashion media has dynamically changed. Readers will not only be able to scroll through the website similar to an editorial layout but the site will also provide readers with a one-stop shop of purchasing their favorite items. It seems that the future of fashion media is accessibility. Not only are readers obsessed with wanting to look like their favorite celebrities and models, but they want the ease and access of these wardrobes right at their fingertips. Readers want the convenience of a one-stop shop. They say: Tell me about the latest fashion news and trends AND let me peruse the virtual clothing racks, if you can do that, you've won my heart! After reading the article by Vikram Kansara covering Net-a-Porters' new direction in combining commercial and editorial models to the company, I started wondering about the implications this would have for other fashion and media powerhouses.
In terms of other publications positioning themselves for the future, I hope that they take notice of this winning combination for their readers. I don't think that this business model makes sense for every single publication out there, but I can certainly think of a few who would benefit from it. I can't even begin to wonder how this would change the face of a publication like Essence and maximize their readership and profitability if Essence.com featured commerce and highlighted major designers as well as those that are up and coming. I'm not sure about you, but I'm excited about the future of fashion media.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment